Friday 20 February 2015

The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler


Reviewer: Liza Perrat, author of Spirit of Lost Angels and Wolfsangel

What we thought: One of my favourite authors, Anne Tyler has taken an ordinary couple––Pauline and Michael––and placed them in an ordinary situation. She does this with all her characters, in all her books, and as every other Anne Tyler novel I have read, she managed to keep me riveted right to the end.

Once the story was over, I felt I knew the characters personally, and found it difficult to say goodbye to them.

Deeply empathetic with the characters, I read on, hoping Pauline and Michael could overcome their seemingly impossible differences. And at the heart of the story, there is the ongoing suspense concerning one of the children, the outcome of which surprised me, but shouldn’t have … it was such a likely outcome.

I felt this was one of Anne Tyler’s best. If you're already a fan, you'll love it. If you're only just discovering this author, it’s a great starting point.

You’ll enjoy this if you like: family dramas featuring every-day people.

Avoid if you don’t like: slow-moving, character-driven stories where they don’t live happily ever after.

Ideal accompaniments: Glass of smoky red wine, matured Reblochon cheese and Saltine crackers.

Genre: Mainstream Fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment